Saturday, January 22, 2011

First Survey Results: Men Not Wearing At The Work Place

First, I'm sorry about not publishing this information sooner. I kept putting it off, until I forgot about it. Second, bear in mind that I answered twice, because I answered for 2 different jobs that I had: 1 in a department store; 1 in the army.

Read the remainder of this blog entry for the survey results.

By the way, this took hours of work. Would you do me a favour, and write "Thanks!", in a comment below? It would really encourage me. This blog entry actually made me miserable.

An interesting bit of information is that I never asked if any of you wear shorts and hosiery in the work place. I realize that many of you wear hosiery, but what about shorts? The whole point of the survey was to find out how many people wore both, and I forgot ask.

Here are the questions and responses.

1. Where do you work or where do you work the most? If you work in several places in equal amounts, then of those places, where are you based? If you aren't based in any of the places that you work, then which of those places would you choose to live if you could only live and work in 1 place for the next 40 years?

5 people responded, and none did not respond. These responses are listed in a slightly mixed order.

watertownNew YorkUSA
AltoMIUSA
Newtown Sq.PAUSA
HonoluluHawaiiUSA
IndyINUSA

2. Why do you *not* wear hosiery at work?

5 people responded, and none did not respond. Later on, I added the option, it feels good. Somebody wrote it under Other, and I thought that it would be a good option for other people too.

safety reasons20.0%1
concerns about what others might think60.0%3
hosiery is physically uncomfortable [e.g. I need to bend a lot and the hosiery gets tight under jeans; they tend to slip down, and there is no private place for me to pull them up; etc.]20.0%1
uniform requirementsn40.0%2
do not want to ruin the hosiery20.0%1

Here are some other things that were said.

  • dress code requirements
  • Those responses are for when I worked in the army. I am currently unemployed. When I worked at The Bay, I showed up to my training with hosiery and boots, and they wanted me to change.
  • I'm a man and have no need for them

How many have told you in no uncertain terms that it is okay for you/men to wear hosiery?

  • 2
  • 0
  • 0

How many have told you in no uncertain terms that you/men are not allowed to or should not to wear hosiery?

  • 2
  • 0
  • 12

How many of your female coworkers wear hosiery? [If unsure, then enter 99999.]

  • 6
  • 99999
  • 20
  • 10

How many of your male coworkers wear hosiery? [If unsure, then enter 99999.]

  • 99999
  • 99999
  • 0
  • 0

Have you specifically asked for permission to wear hosiery with *shorts*?

4 people responded to this question. 1 said, "No, I was denied permission by the company before I even tried to ask.". 1 said, "No, I heard coworkers talking, and they weren't accepting of men in hosiery.". 1 said, "No.". 1 said, "Yes, and the answer was negative.".

Do you have 1 or more outfits that you could wear, if you were allowed wear hosiery and shorts tomorrow for work?

4 people responded to this question. 4 people said, "Yes.". 0 people said, "No.".

How many years have you been wearing hosiery?

On average, we have been wearing for 11.67 years. In total, we have been wearing for 35 years. 3 people responded to this. 2 did not.

  • 15
  • 15
  • 5

How many pairs of hosiery do you have?

On average, we have 34.67 pairs. In total, we have 107 pairs. 3 people responded to this. 2 did not.

  • 50
  • 50
  • 7

7. What are your favourite brands?

I kind of regret asking this question, because I cannot tie it to any particular person, so it is kind of meaningless. I decided to just paste each response in no particular order. Each line is 1 person's answer. You can probably guess that I answered twice.

3 people responded to this. 2 did not.

  • Wolford, Secret, Silks, Silkies, Enchantress, L'eggs, Jockey, Hue
  • Wolford, Secret, Silks, Silkies, Enchantress, L'eggs, Jockey, Hue
  • elita

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting on what people have said. I found your blog after the survey, and at my work some people in the office do wear shorts in the summer time, so I think I'm going to join in, but with hosiery on my legs, so we'll see how that goes latter this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read that you plan on wearing during the summer with shorts. I hope that you'll blog about it.

    ReplyDelete